Early view of Aberystwyth Pier by James Ede.
Aberystwyth Pier, originally 244m long, was built by Eugenius Birch of London in 1865 and consists of cast-iron piles concreted into the rock, with cast-iron columns braced by wrought iron rods. The pier was damaged by a storm in 1866 and rebuilt in 1872. A pavilion and substructure were added by G. Croydon Marks of London in 1896 at the instigation of the Aberystwyth Improvement Company. The pier was truncated to its present length in 1938 by storm damage.