Wales 1880 - 1980

Items relating to Wales during the period 1880 to 1980.
Photographed by Geoff Charles. This photograph was taken following the final service to be held Capel Celyn Calvinistic Methodist chapel on 28 September 1963. The two policemen, Wil Jones, Fron-goch, and Ken Williams, Bala, had been sent to the area...
Photographed by Geoff Charles. It was in 1955 that it was first announced that Liverpool Corporation was intending to build the new reservoir in the Tryweryn valley, drowning the village of Capel Celyn, north of Bala. Although a fierce protest campaign...
Photographed by Geoff Charles. Protestors from Capel Celyn in Liverpool.
Photographed by Geoff Charles. This photograph shows Mrs. K. Morgan and Leslie Hughes, assisting with the work of clearing the house of Mr. John William Evans and Mrs. Mabel Evans, Garnedd Llwyd, Capel Celyn. Mr. and Mrs. Evans were both killed in a...
The race was arranged by the local racing club, the Oswestry Paragon Racing Club
A 1930s promotional card for the Queen's Hotel in Welshpool. Motor charabanc excursions were very popular when car ownership was limited to the better off.
Penuel Chapel was built in 1860. The stone drinking fountain was unveiled in 1895 by its donor Sir Alfred Thomas, MP for East Glamorgan, (later Lord Pontypridd). It was designed to provide fresh drinking water to passers-by and animals. The relief...
Frank Moody (1900-63) the 'Pontypridd Puncher', was from a family a twelve children, including seven boys who all became boxers. Moody showed his talent for boxing at an early age. However, it was not until 1923 that he decided to give up his work in...
'Captain' Edward Tupper addressing the crowd at Bute Docks, Cardiff, during the Seamen's strike 1911. The period between 1908 and 1914 has become known as 'The Great Unrest' as Britain saw a number of major industrial conflicts. In south Wales, coal...
Funeral of the two young men, namely Leonard Worsell and John John, who were shot down by soldiers at Llanelli during the Railway Strike Riots of 1911. The period between 1908 and 1914 was known as 'The Great Unrest' as Britain experienced a number...
A photograph of the revivalists of 1904-05. They would travel Wales to participate in meetings and encourage the spread of the Revival.
  A photograph by Geoff Charles of the first Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg - Welsh Language Society protest. Society members decided to stop the traffic on TrefechanBridgein Aberystwyth to draw attention to their cause.
Photographed by Geoff Charles. Instead of the traditional Eisteddfod to celebrate St David's Day, pupils at Ysgol Dr. Williams decided to stage a concert to celebrate the richness of Welsh historical culture.
Photographed by Geoff Charles. The broadcaster Wilfred Pickles came to Rhayader on St. David's Day, March 1955, to record the radio programme 'Have a Go'. During his visit, Wilfred Pickles was presented with a 10lb salmon caught that day in the river...
Photographed by Geoff Charles. In 1948, the 38,000 acre hill-farming estate of Glan Llyn was handed over to the Welsh Agricultural Sub-Committee for management. For four centuries the land had formed part of the Wynnstay Estate but the estate went to...
Photographed by Geoff Charles. In 1948, the 38,000 acre hill-farming estate of Glan Llyn was handed over to the Welsh Agricultural Sub-Committee for management. For four centuries the land had formed part of the Wynnstay Estate but the estate went to...
Workers are assembled next to steam-powered looms. Photographed by John Thomas.
Photographed by John Thomas.
Photographed by John Thomas.
Men unloading timber from a steam ship to railway wagons at Aberdyfi. Photographed by John Thomas.
Photographed by John Thomas.
A large traction engine towing a trailer in Whitland. Several men, some holding dogs are standing around, or sitting on the traction engine. Photographed by John Thomas.
Photographed by John Thomas.
Photographed by John Thomas.
These commemorative medals were presented to the next-of-kin of the men and women who died in action in the Great War (1914-18). The medal was commonly known as the 'Dead Man's Penny'. The medal was made of brass and measured approximately four and...
Photographed by J. F. Lloyd.
A soup kitchen during the Cambrian Combine strike, 1910-11
A Labour meeting at Cwmavon 1929
A Tonyrefail family, about 1890
Pontypridd's 'Old Bridge' was designed by William Edwards (1719-89) and completed in 1755. The 'new' three-arch bridge was designed by Thomas Jenkins in 1857 and provided a more practical means of crossing the river Taff.
Photograph by William Booth. During the latter half of the 19th century, Halket Street, Canton, was home to a large number of Irish families.
This photograph shows the procession going through Wellfield Road, Roath.
'(A.) Davies - The Park Newsagency, Stationery and Fancy Repository' was located at 109 Albany Road, Roath, Cardiff, on the corner with Wellfield Road. The shop was located in a building which was originally built as a private house c. 1892. The ground...
Photograph showing the staff of the Empire Theatre alongside a table of gifts. Is it a display of wedding presents from the staff to the manager or perhaps a farewell presentation? We may never know. But what is certain is that this Edwardian group was...
Published by the Trent Bridge Publishing Company.
Evan Roberts (1878-1951) was one of the leaders of the religious revival of 1904-5. He travelled extensively throughout Wales during the revival, in order to conduct religious meetings. This postcard shows the last revival meeting held by Evan Roberts...
This printed card reads 'Nid oes Bradwr yn y ty hwn' ('There is no traitor in this house'). These cards were issued to the striking quarrymen during the Penrhyn Quarry Strike of 1900-03 and were placed in the windows of their homes. The quarry dispute...
Menai Bridge was designed by the engineer Thomas Telford (1757-1854). The construction work began in 1819 and the bridge was officially opened on 30 January 1826.
The Brynmawr factory was established in 1929 by an Order of Friends at a time when high unemployment and much hardship followed the 1920s decline of coal mining at Brynmawr. There was a commitment to high quality of construction and materials combined...
Photograph by T. M. Franklen, Clerk of the Peace for Glamorgan from 1878 to 1928, and in 1889 the first Clerk of Glamorgan County Council. View of Westgate Street, showing Jackson Hall and Circus Building. This permanent circus tent was erected to provide...
This photograph shows the buildings decorated in preparation for the visit of H.R.H The Duke of Clarence and Avondale, September 1890.
Early view of Aberystwyth Pier by James Ede. Aberystwyth Pier, originally 244m long, was built by Eugenius Birch of London in 1865 and consists of cast-iron piles concreted into the rock, with cast-iron columns braced by wrought iron rods. The...
Henry Richard (1812-88) was born in Tregaron, Cardiganshire. He was a Nonconformist minister in London before being elected the Liberal Member of Parliament for Merthyr Tydfil in 1868. He was known as 'The Apostle of Peace' in recognition of his work...
Photographed by John Thomas.
Passengers sitting aboard the Royal Mail Carriage, hauled by three horses near Newcastle Emlyn. Photographed by John Thomas.
Men aboard the Tal-y-cafn Ferry on the River Conwy with a farm house and outbuildings on the opposite bank. Photographed by John Thomas.
Mrs. George, Pontypool, washing with a dolly tub, about 1900
Colliers enjoying a drink in Cwm-bach, Aberdare, about 1910
Dowlais United Choir at a concert in the Queen's Hall, London, 1936
Miners waiting to go into a mass meeting at the Empire Theatre , Tonypandy, November 1910, during the Cambrian Combine strike.
A young boy working underground, Rhondda, about 1910
A Troed-y-rhiw, Merthyr, scene about 1910
Hauling coal at Lewis Merthyr Colliery, about 1900
The archetypal image of industrial Wales — the Lewis Merthyr colliery in the Rhondda valley, about 1910.
A typical Cardiff tramp steamer - the SS Pontwen, built in 1914.
The age of depression. Laid-up ships in Cardiff docks about 1930.
In 1877 the Regiment transferred to a Special Reserve section of the Royal Engineers, which finally gave them a chance to serve overseas. The Regiment was embodied for the Boer War and three companies were sent to South Africa. There they carried out...
J. Eaton and later P. R. Eaton ran the butcher's shop below Whitecroft at the foot of School Bank, Montgomery. Here John Eaton is seen with his traditional Christmas Show in 1888.
This postcard was part of the 'Revival Series' produced by the 'Western Mail' to mark the religious revival in Wales, 1904-5. Evan Roberts (1878-1951) of Loughor was one of the leaders of the religious revival of 1904-5. He travelled extensively throughout...
This postcard was part of the 'Revival Series' produced by the 'Western Mail' to mark the religious revival in Wales, 1904-5. Evan Roberts (1878-1951) of Loughor was one of the leaders of the religious revival of 1904-5. He travelled extensively throughout...
A hand-coloured postcard view of a pioneering department store. This was the Central Wales Emporium in Llandrindod Wells, which sold a remarkably wide range of goods for such an early date, including food, furniture and clothing. There was also a café...
The Guildhall in High Street Inferior, Brecon, photographed, along with an impressive number of the local people, around 1880. Built in 1770, the assizes, quarter sessions, and other important county matters were carried out on the upper floor until...
An escort of police and trumpeters for the Assize Court judge, returning by limousine from the Shire Hall to his lodgings in Brecon in the 1930s.
A photograph of a steam train approaching the busy platform at Llandrindod Wells station around 1900. At this date the line was operated by the London and North Western Railway Company.
One of a number of fine surviving images of local people taken in the 1900s by the self-taught but proficient local photographer, Tommy Allen of Crickhowell.
A sad image of the empty mansion house of Cwm Elan in the Elan Valley with the rising waters of the Gareg-ddu reservoir very close to the front of the building. The poet Percy Bysshe Shelley had stayed at Cwm Elan in 1811, and the house was used by senior...
Workers employed on the rebuilding of the Severn Street bridge over the Montgomery canal at Welshpool in 1900. The old bridge had steep gradients on either side which caused problems for the horse-drawn traffic of the time. The project provided jobs...
Cover of a 'Hand Book of Scenery Accessible from the Cambrian Railways', price sixpence, published in 1884.
The farmhouse of Crowlwm, near Llanidloes is where the first Sunday school in Wales is believed to have been established in 1769 by Jenkin Morgan. Photographed around 1890 by John Owen of Newtown.
Dimensions of banner: 1.12 x 1.42m.
Sully TB Hospital, outside Cardiff, 1930
Shows the Royal Hotel, which was extended by 1893.
James Howell & Co.'s shop is to be seen on the left-hand side.
Shows the Park Hotel, at the corner of Queen Street and Park Place.
This photograph shows Queen Street packed with people as the Volunteers march home in 1902 from the Boer War.
The Three Horse Shoes, High Street, Cardiff c.1890. Lunch at the Three Horse Shoes in 1890 would have consisted of a plate of ham or beef with bread and pickles 4d and a halfpenny, 1 glass of beer 1d and a halfpenny. Total 6d.
The 15th century tower of St John's Church can be seen in the background at the end of the street. The Church itself was built c. 1180
Photograph by G. H. Willis. View of a portion of the Glamorganshire Canal between James Street and the Sea Lock.
  Pictured in Llanaber near Barmouth, 1930’s, the swimming group shows the fashion of the period. Mary Durrant’s (photograph donor)  mother is to the right of the man in the centre. ...
  Mrs A May Jones, Capel Fawnog, Talsarnau who was a Land Army girl from the outbreak of the second world war in 1939.
A group of workers in 1938 at Cooke's Explosives, Penrhyndeudraeth, with Susie Jones left at the back.
Photograph of c1929 Haymaking at Blaen y Cwm, Cwm Cynllwyd, Llanuwchllyn. This shows Lisa Robert’s mother and her sisters at work in the field. The family name was Jones.
Photograph of three young women in during World War 1 in unknown uniform.    
Ogmore Vale with Gorwyl House overlooking the village, about 1910
  Postcard of Whitmore Bay, Barry Island, c.1900, front [image 1 of 2]
The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary) stayed with Lord and Lady Llangattock at the Hendre in late October - early November 1900. This royal visit was a private occasion, but the Rolls collection in the Nelson Museum &...
Photograph of St John the Baptist church taken in 1953, showing Church Street and businesses including a surgical suppliers and a 'Continental' cafe.
Saunders Lewis, D.J. Williams and Lewis Valentine were three of the most prominent figures in Welsh politics and culture during the twentieth century. Together, they set fire to the RAF's Bombing School on the Lleyn Peninsula in 1936 to protest...
Shows cattle fair taking place on street with shops, inns, etc.
The Terra Nova loading in Bute East Dock, Cardiff, June 1910
A fire at Penyberth had far-reaching consequences within the Welsh nationalist movement. In the early hours of 8 September 1936, a fire was lit at Penyberth on the Lly^n Peninsula in protest at the government’s decision to locate a training camp for...
Pauline Jameson has been described as one of the most distinguished classical actresses of her generation. Born in Norfolk in 1920, she studied at RADA before making her debut at Colwyn Bay Repertory Theatre in 1937. She performed almost weekly at the...
This programme of performances for May 1938 shows the variety of productions shown at the Colwyn Bay Repertory Theatre. The theatre manager, Stanley Ravenscroft, ran a company which was a blend of experienced, talented actors and actresses and enthusiastic...
These are scenes taken from a performance of 'Sixteen' at the Colwyn Bay Repertory Theatre which starred Ruita Dagmur, Patricia Hastings, Clara Widdicombe, Nancy Lord, Dorothea Rundle, Jack Raymond and Sydney Dench. The photographs were taken by local...
In 1929 a new 1,500 ton hot metal receiver, then the largest in the world, was installed. The works were due to close before it could be used.
The rolling mills about 1900.
This ship used to sail between Bardsey island and the mainland. Photographed by Kinsley, Caernarfon.
In the early 1930s, Cefn Coed Colliery, with a depth of 689m, was the deepest anthracite mine in the world.
Shown here are workers from the Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Company at the Swansea Hospital Carnival. Their entry in the carnival won them first prize.
This badly-damaged but rare photograph shows Mrs Pankhurst, the prominent suffragette, addressing a crowd at the Castle Square, Haverfordwest. It was probably taken in 1908, when Mrs Pankhurst and other leading suffragettes canvassed during the by-election...
In this address Keir Hardie sets out his agenda of abolishing the House of Lords, granting votes for women and home rule for Ireland - and Wales. He is against militarism, imperialism, and the use of the army against strikers.
A suede-bound book, with an inscription on the front reading 'The Open Door: A Guestbook'. This is a guestbook from 'Caledon', a house belonging to the Kirkland family, and dated 1917-63. The pages are filled with comments by guests to the house, many...
Made by Peggy Nisbet models, this doll marked the investiture of Prince Charles at Caernarfon on 1 July 1969.
The banqueting hall at St Fagans Castle, Cardiff, taken during the First World War. The hall was used as a hospital during the War.
Tinplate workers at Swansea in the 1900s. The rolling of the sheets of tinplate was done by men, but many women were also employed to separate the sheets during rolling. This was done using sword-like tools known as hangars.
Photograph by Aubrey Colquhoun presumably for use as a postcard. The Mumbles railway ran alongside the beach, providing a ready link for visitors to the coast.
Photograph by Aubrey Colquhoun presumably for use as a postcard.
Photograph by Aubrey Colquhoun presumably for use as a postcard.
Radnorshire Constabulary Football Team, with Chief Constable A. S. Michael.
Photograph taken by Aubrey Colquhoun a local photographer known for his beach scenes and views of Gower. He worked as a commercial photographer and it is likely that this photograph of 'works in progress' during the redevelopment of Swansea were a commission...
Cedric Morris (1889-1982), painter, was born in the Sketty area, Swansea. He was a direct descendent of John Morris, owner of the Morriston copperworks. He spent his early years in the Gower and was educated at Charterhouse School. He moved to Paris...
Cedric Morris (1889-1982), painter, was born in the Sketty area, Swansea. He was a direct descendent of John Morris, owner of the Morriston copperworks. He spent his early years in the Gower and was educated at Charterhouse School. He moved to Paris...
The houses in this picture were built as part of a wider worker housing development in the 1820s. They were arranged in a triangle of streets around a central courtyard area.
The 1930s saw a number of major disturbances and labour troubles at Taff-Merthyr Colliery, near Bedlinog, due to the problem of company unionism, which threatened to undermine the position of the South Wales Federation of Miners (the Fed). There were...
This picture illustrates an early age of motorised transport, although it is clear from the photograph that such vehicles were few, and that traffic congestion was no problem in the 1920s. Prior to this period it was only mules and horses which waited...
There are 165 items in this collection
 
  • Comment
  • Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment